Air Line R260XL Gas Engine Hookah System
- Model R260XL.
- Excellent, the unequaled leader of the pack! The bad boy that gives the competition nightmares. A large, single-head compressor that equals, or betters in delivered air, the other guy’s double-head. Can be serviced by you—in the field—in 15 minutes, with just three common hand tools and that, after hundreds and hundreds of hours of faithful service. Too water-logged? About 1,000 Thomas service facilities in North America alone. The Owner’s Manual, however, is quite specific in the care and feeding of baby. 4.0 HP, 4 cycle, OHV, Honda engine.Performance: 2 to depth of 85′, 3 to 60′, 4 to 40.
- Compressor: Thomas/Air Line, LARGE, single-head, direct-drive, oil-free, Wobble piston.
- Performance: 12.5 CFM @ 0 PSI, 9.8 @ 50. Two at 85′, three at 60, four at 40.
- Air Rating: Standard-E Compressed Gas Association of America.
- Full-time operating speed, compressor and motor: 3,600 RPM.
- Motor: Honda, 4 hp, 4 cycle.
- Operating time: 3 hours. (Watch your decomp. time) on 2 1/2 qts. of gas.
- Size in Polypropylene Case: 19 1/2 x 25 x 17 inches high.
- Inflated Float Size: 38 inches. (Stable up to four foot seas. Use Also as deck-mount on pan.)
- Warranty: Global, one year on compressor by Thomas; two-year on motor by Honda; one year on all other parts.
- Weight: 55lbs.
A very tough (but caring) single-head compressor, cut from a solid block of aluminum, and featuring a prominent, six-inch cooling fan. There is no restriction in its ability to disburse heat. The fan also has the effect of deflecting splash while it is pushing out heated air.
Further, the large vent affords the possibility of washing off the bearing/piston assembly after the dive day, to rid critical working parts of the destructive effects of salt. There is absolutely no disassembly involved. Salt WILL enter the interior of ANY compressor as it cannot be hermetically sealed, as some circulation of hot air is needed. As with all Air Line compressors it is marinized inside and out for long, l-o-n-g service life.
In the Pre Airolinean Geologic period, a single-head compressor could be counted on to supply air for two to a depth of about 30 feet. R260XL will see that and raise (actually, lower) it 55 feet. No kidding; two to 85 feet, three to 60, four to 40. (Real numbers, not the hoped-for numbers you would get with a single, down hose system that additionally has to run slower).
The way this works is quite simple: The XL provides 12.5 CFM/FAD. That’s a lot of air and I promise it’s not hot air, figuratively, or literally. The cylinder is an impressive three inch inside diameter with 1-7/8 inch stroke at 3,600 RPM. Let’s see—- 1/2D times 1/2D, times Pi, times L, V, times something or other, divided by the GNP of Poland??? You do the math, I’m late for dinner.
Getting back on track, the XL is powered by Honda’s 4 HP, 4-cycle (no mixing), motor. One of the most popular motors in the world, with thousands of service facilities. With a capacity of just 2-1/2 quarts of gas, it will run continually for three hours. Put four people on the system and you’ve effectively eliminated 12, count em, 12 scuba tanks. (Cost to re-fill 12 Scuba tanks will be about $84.00)
The Standard gear Package:
|1||Polypropylene storage case|
|1||5′ US Navy heat hose|
|1||Agricultural-grade inner tube|
|1||1,000 denier, U/V stabilized Cordura float cover|
|2||60′ fully swiveled, individual diver hoses|
|4||Washable, stainless-steel particle filters|
|2||Adjustable, hookah-specific, 2nd stage regulator w/fully rotational, 360¡ swivel|
|1||Air intake staff and filter|
|1||Down diver flag|
|1||Owners manual (Honda and Air Line/Thomas)|
Want a third diver?? Check out the R360XL
Add only, your personal gear, a little gas, oil and a body of water (not included), and the fun and friends will be forthcoming. Maybe more friends than you knew you had.